5.08.2009

THE GRIM REAPER HATES HARMONICAS

The feel-good story of the year comes from Washington state where 70-year-old Andy Mackie is still alive after nine heart surgeries. He had been kept alive by a combination of 15 different medications but when he could no longer tolerate the side effects Mackie threw all his pills away and decided to use the money that he would have spent on prescriptions in order to buy 300 harmonicas which he gave away to school kids in order to spread his love of music to a new generation. “I really thought it was the last thing I could ever do,” he said. But instead of slowly dying without his drugs, Mackie is still going strong 11 years later and has given away 13,000 harmonicas so far. “I can’t explain the joy,” Mackie says. “I don’t think Bill Gates feels any richer inside than I do” (CBS News)

No comments: